Select one American healthcare organization (“covered entity” in HIPAA parlance) that frames your research. Describe the organization, its components assuming it’s a healthcare “system,” its business in general, and any additional descriptive information that will inform your reader about your subject matter. Describe and define at least one the laws focused on compliance within the healthcare sector that came up during our course. Research the law itself, any legal cases that were based on that law, and the critique of the law that you found through your research. Of course, if your selected covered entity was involved in such litigation, or has published their critique, include that information too. In addition to compliance laws that directly target healthcare institutions, countless other laws apply to them. Use the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s website to discover whether your selected institution has been awarded intellectual property rights for their trademarks, patents, or IP. Describe whether and how it protects its trade secrets. Describe for your reader some of the most prominent criminal or tort risks that your entity faces; or perhaps has been involved in. In addition to risks in the realms of criminal or tort law, every organization faces the potential risk of enduring a cyber-attack or other incident that must be followed by a forensics investigation. Keeping the focus on your organization and the healthcare sector, research and discuss an incident or case in which such an institution was compelled to go through the forensic investigation process. There are no sectors exempt from those incidents or cases, regrettably, so be diligent and you will find one to discuss. Conclude the Portfolio with your overall assessment of whether the legal system—from compliance mandates, to IT, criminal, and tort laws, to forensic investigations—benefits, hurts, or otherwise affects the institution. Assume the role of information security and privacy risk consultant in this section.
- Provide a 500 word (or 2 pages double spaced) minimum reflection.
- Use of proper APA formatting and citations. If supporting evidence from outside resources is used those must be properly cited.
- Share a personal connection that identifies specific knowledge and theories from this course.
- Demonstrate a connection to your current work environment. If you are not employed, demonstrate a connection to your desired work environment.
- You should not provide an overview of the assignments assigned in the course. The assignment asks that you reflect how the knowledge and skills obtained through meeting course objectives were applied or could be applied in the workplace.