Assignment 11: In Chapter 11, Topic 4, we look at the development of specialized investigative teams as a response to crime trends. In at least ONE (1) page, pick ONE (1) of the eleven (11) specialized areas listed in Topic 4. Do some research on one of those specialties and be able to:
(1) describe/define what that specialty does,
(2) what special skills/resources staff in the unit need to possess, and
(3) what types of crimes you think it is best equipped to address.
There are 11 specialties listed: Forensic Identification Section; Traffic Analyst and Accident Reconstruction Units; Criminal Intelligence and Crime Analysis; Criminal and Geographic Crime Profiling; Polygraph section and specialized interview teams; Computer Crime Analysts and Data Recovery; Organized Crime Sections; Gang Crime Unit; Integrated Homicide Investigation Teams; Dedicated Surveillance Units; Community Policing Teams.
For example, if you select Community Police Teams, you will need to describe and define what community policing means, what types of training/resources you think that unit will need to be most effective, and then identify what types of crimes they are best equipped to investigative and/or deter.
- APA Style elements required
- Separate Title Page with Name, class, date and topic/title
- At least one (1) page of your writing on this topic that includes using in-text citations
- 12 point font
- Times New Roman or Arial
- Separate Reference Page – List detailed source information for all references
- Review the grading rubric below this assignment to see how it is assessed.
Course readings imbedded into the course.
Brown, Thomas. (2019), “Criminal Investigation”. Virginia Wesleyan University. OERCommons. eBook.
Viewed from: https://www.oercommons.org/courses/criminal-investigation/view#
Lewandowski, Carla and Jeff Bumgarner. (2021) “Criminal Justice in America: The Encyclopedia of Crime,
Law Enforcement, Courts and Corrections”, Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO, Volumes 1 and 2: Available
Online via EGCC Gale EBooks at: Gale eBooks,
Accessed 14 June 2022.